Saturday, March 3, 2007

Willows Run - Eagles Talon - love hate relationship

Willows Run is a 36 hole golf complex north west of downtown Redmond, Washington. Eagles Talon and Coyote Creek are the respective names. Both courses can play extremely slow because it's not marshaled. You have to tee off early to beat the traffic. The drinks and food are pretty decent. In the last 6 years - I've played this course less and less each year due to service and slow play - this is my take, your experience may vary with time of play.

The front side: It was wet and the course was soggy as hell - Expected this time of year given the weather we've had recently. The course is pretty straight away with very few dog leg rights, lefts and not to difficult around the green or fairway bunkers. I started off with a birdie. The hole that always gets me on the front is #3. It’s all about course management and the green slopes right to left. It's the #1 rating hole - they got this right. I took a big number on #3... OB left on white stakes - never a good thing - hit 3 from the tee - double bogey (two over par). The course overall is sort of a new era links style course - meaning - not much course design thought put into it (sorry course designer). I shot 40 on the front which is 5 over - par is 35.

My playing partners: Pat and Michael (nickname = Lance or Spike depending on topic/sport) and we we're paired up with Jim (a single) to make a foursome. Jim was amazing; we had a fun time with him... Jim bought the group beers and offered cigars. I took Jim up on a nice Romeo and Juliette corona size cigar. Nice smoke - light, mild hints of leather. I didn't have any beers during the round - I saved that until after the game.

The back side: I love the 10th and 11th hole - because I've eagled or birdied these holes more often than most par 5's I've played. Just so happens I did neither this time out. Oh well. I was one under on the back side through 15. I took a Bogey on 16 and finished up with two pars for even par on the back side. I was pretty happy with this effort. The only hole that stands out for me on the back side is #17 - a par 3 over water to an island looking green - a 3 tier green at that. OK, 18 is interesting too.. it's a par 5 with a water feature by the green.

No comments: