Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Gold Mountain - Olympic Course - muni's rule part 2

Gold Mountain played host to the 2006 U.S Amateur Public Links Championship. It's a 36 hole complex. It has a nice size club house - and the beer and food are "great". Service is outstanding and both courses are amazing (Olympic and Cascade courses). In the summer I recommend playing 36 holes. Bring your camera - don't forget it at the house.

The front side: We played the Olympic course from the gold tees. Out of the gate is a huge 466 yard par 4. The course is amazing. Check out the web site the views of the Olympic mountain range are amazing. The layout of the course is amazing. It's called a true shot makers course. I took to many shots and never really managed to make "the shots". Tree lined, well bunkered, tough greens.

My playing partners OR partners in crime: Jefferson and Bryn - both characters, we laughed so hard on the way over on the ferry ride my stomach was sore - Note to self: Must "plan" to do crunches more often.

The back side: The course is in great to good shape. The greens are pretty difficult - they have plenty of break to them which makes the greens sneaky tricky. The fairways are in nice shape. This course plays well in the winter and rain. #12 is a 251 yard par 3. Huh? A 251 yard par 3, unheard of... it's down hill and plays about 220. I hit the green and had a 40 foot putt up and down a hill snaking to the left. It took me 3 putts - the "hog" let me down.

Overall thoughts on my play: I suck. Or, I sucked. How could the "Hog" let me down I'll never "care" to know. When your driver, approach shots and putter let you down - it's a bad golf day. All said and done, I had a great time. I such a great time - we scheduled a tee time for next Sunday on the same course. How to fu_k up a long drive? Chapter xxx, it happened on #6, a par 5 that starts up hill then finishes down playing 528 yards from the gold tees. I had 190 yards to the pin, down hill lie to a down hill green. I don't hit 338 yard shots everyday - so I was pretty proud of myself. Until I hit the next shot. In order to get the club on the ball I had to play the ball way back in my stance. I had eagle thoughts... that flew by with one swing of the club (5 iron). I pushed my 2nd shot far right pin high behind a tree - 30 yards away from the green. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

Overall thoughts on the course: Go out of your way to play both courses == You must experience this golf complex - it's amazing - repeat as often as you like :).

No comments: